Thomas Hart Family Practice
In December 1968, York Hospital sponsored one of the first residencies in the emerging specialty of family practice. The Family Practice Center opened in March, 1969 under the direction of Dr. Thomas M. Hart, who moved his private practice to the residency. The first FPC was located in the ground floor of the Catherine Dale building. In 1970, the residency produced its first graduating class of three physicians, all of whom remained in York County until they retired.
The residency leadership increased the size of the program to a 6-6-6 program in 1976. When the practice outgrew its initial home in 1989, it was moved to the ground floor of the Marie Ketterman building. The Center was named in memory of Dr. Thomas M. Hart, the residency’s first program director.
In 1999 the residency increase in size to an 8-8-8 program and the family practice center underwent a major renovation and expansion. All residency administrative staff, resident workspace, and faculty offices moved to the first floor of the Marie Ketterman Building, directly above the clinical operations.
In March of 2023 Thomas Hart and WellSpan Dental-Hoodner moved into a brand new facility in the Queensgate plaza. The office is located in the same plaza as WellSpan Lab Services, WellSpan Rehabilitation, WellSpan Pediatric Rehabilitation, WellSpan Nutrition Services, and WellSpan Medical Equipment which allows for excellent coordination of care for our patients.
Level 3 patient-centered medical home
- Thirty exam rooms, three procedure rooms, four nursing stations and four preceptor stations, a large resident work area and separate lounge, and a point of care laboratory
- Every exam room is equipped with a computer, printer, and dragon mic
- Mix of community physicians and faculty members as preceptors
- Graduated responsibility in caring for patients
- Experience in billing and coding appropriately
- Patient care teams made of faculty, residents, and nurses allow for teamwork and continuity of care
- Able to perform telehealth visits with patients
- Ultrasounds and EKG machines available
- Ability to do procedures including biopsies, ultrasound guided injections, incision and drainage, endometrial biopsies, IUD placement, etc.
- Health coach
- Financial counselor
- Behavioral Health
- Exercise as Medicine program
- Urgent Care
Who we serve
- Approximately 26,553 patient care visits recorded in 2019
- Over 10,000 patients assigned to the practice; population distribution per age includes:
- 55% female, 46% male
- We serve a large underserved population with a diverse ethnic makeup with about 27% identifying as black or African American and 27% identifying as Hispanic or Latino.