Summer Externship Program
Medical students between their first and second year of medical school.
- Early exposure to emergency medicine via shadowing physicians in a busy community center.
- Continue to develop history and physical examination skills with the help of Emergency Medicine attendings and residents.
- Progressive responsibility with the ability to perform independent patient evaluations and present directly to the senior resident/attending.
- Participation in resident and medical student didactics. These are in addition to a curriculum specifically designed for the externship.
- Learn and practice various procedures in our simulation center (i.e. intubation, central lines, chest tubes, suturing, splinting, ultrasound and running resuscitations.)
- Develop skills reading and interpreting evidence-based medicine by attending our monthly Journal Club.
- Specific training in ECG interpretation and other clinical skills.
- Development oral presentation skills.
- Free student housing and parking provided.
- Successful completion of MS-1 year.
- Weekly clinical shadowing shifts and observed history and physical exams.
- Attendance at Tuesday medical student academic days.
- Attendance at scheduled medical simulation sessions.
- Completion of oral case presentation.
Monday, June 6, 2022 to Friday, July 1, 2022
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a stipend. In years past we were able to provide free dorm room housing. At this time, because of proposed construction we are unable to provide housing. Free parking is also included.
How do I apply?
Send an essay outlining your interest in the program (500 words or less) and a curriculum vitae to email@example.com by the application deadline of March 18, 2022.
PLEASE STRUCTURE THE FILE NAME OF YOUR CV AND ESSAY AS FOLLOWS:
<Your last name> Externship CV
<Your last name> Externship Essay
<Will you be able to secure your own housing? Yes/No (please indicate on application.
Accepted students will be notified via electronic mail in April 2022.
Nicole Peters, DO
Course Director – Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship
Department of Emergency Medicine
WellSpan York Hospital