Experience That Lasts A Lifetime.
Teaching. Service. Excellence. A Solid Foundation for the Future.
The WellSpan York Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program is a three-year, ACGME accredited program accepting 13 residents per year.
Our residency program is based at WellSpan York Hospital, a 580 bed large community teaching hospital. We are:
- a fully accredited Level 1 trauma center (adults & pediatrics)
- a comprehensive stroke center
- a certified chest pain center
- an ECMO center
- one of the busiest Emergency Departments in Pennsylvania (with approximately 85,000 annual adult and pediatric ED visits).
To provide our residents with the foundational knowledge in EM while letting them explore their individual interests, and in turn producing excellent clinicians, educators, and leaders in Emergency Medicine.
Teaching. Provide outstanding educational experiences for attending physicians, fellows, residents, medical students, and other healthcare professions students
Service. Deliver exceptional patient care experiences for all of those we care for in the Emergency Department, prehospital care settings, and throughout the WellSpan Health system
Excellence. Strive to reach superior performance levels in clinical care, research and educational innovations, leadership training, patient safety, and quality and performance improvement
- Our ED is high volume & high acuity and our patient population is diverse in pathology
- Graduated responsibility and autonomy
- Exceptional procedural training and resuscitation skills
Robust, Unique Educational Opportunities
- Resident interest tracks (*optional)
- Research and performance improvement project opportunities
- Ultrasonography education from ultrasound fellowship trained faculty
- Individualized mentorship including medical knowledge improvement program
- Procedure rotation
- Cadaver lab annually
- Monthly journal club
- Teaching opportunities
What Do Our Graduates Do?
Residents graduate fully confident to work in any clinical setting they choose (community, university based, county, community academic hybrid).
Celebrating our 34th year of residency with 308 graduates practicing in 48 states in the U.S.
Residents have obtained fellowships across the country in the following specialties:
- Critical Care
- Sport Medicine
- Healthcare Policy
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Disaster Medicine
- Tactical EMS