Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship
Welcome to the WellSpan York Hospital Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship! The WellSpan York Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine is a high volume community academic site with a tremendous variety of pathology, and an ED volume of approximately 81,000 per year.
We offer a one-year fellowship focused on attaining the skills to become efficient at the clinical and administrative applications that are needed to run an emergency ultrasound program, with a special focus on critical care ultrasound. We limit our program to two applicants per year. Our fellowship was started in 2011, and as a section within the Department of Emergency Medicine. Credentialed attendings in the department of EM can bill for bedside US.
Ultrasound Fellowship Education
Our US fellow works a mix of clinical shifts as an attending in a community academic ED with an EM residency, as well as dedicated scanning shifts with extensive bedside teaching from EUS faculty. We also perform a weekly image review that incorporates didactics and an US focused journal club.
Number of Clinical Hours: 16-24 Clinical Hours per Week
- Minimum one IRB-approved research project
- Scanning shifts with section faculty
- Medical student and resident education
- Two resident lectures at conference per year
- Education at our yearly Ultrasound Conference
- Echo lab (with techs)
- Vascular lab (with techs)
- Weekly digital image review, including didactics and US journal club
- Multiple ultrasound textbooks, Including Rumak’s Diagnostic Radiology
- Extensive library of still images and cine loops of both normal and pathological conditions in all major imaging modalities
- Fellow iPads loaded with EUS educational resources
Stipend and Benefits
- $2500 CME
- $750 for professional society dues
- SAEM/AEUS membership
- ABEM Board Dues
- Allopathic or osteopathic medical school graduate
- Board certified/board eligible graduate of an ACGME or AOA accredited Emergency Medicine Residency
The deadline for fellowship application is December 1st. Interviews are scheduled on a rolling basis throughout the fall, with a fellow chosen by January 1st.
Interested applicants are encouraged to visit our fellowship page at eusfellowships.com, where applications can be submitted. This can be found at the following link: http://www.eusfellowships.com/prog_main.php?id=74
Alternatively, applicants are asked to submit a CV, two letters of recommendation, and a statement of interest to our Fellowship Director:
Thompson Kehrl, MD, RDMS, FACEP
Phone: (717) 851-5067